2023 CAORC – INYA Short Term Fellowships for U.S. Graduate Students Conducting Research Work on Myanmar/Burma in a Third Country
Fellowships awards from $3,200 to $4,400 for a maximum of 4 months
Application deadline on April 3, 2023 (11:59 PM EDT)
The Inya Institute is now reopening the call for the 2023 CAORC-INYA Short Term Fellowships competition for research that will contribute to studies on Myanmar in any aspect of its wide linguistic, cultural, religious, and ethnic diversity and to a better understanding of the country’s past or present political and socio-economic situation. Applicants must be U.S. citizens currently enrolled in a graduate program (Master’s or Doctoral level) at an institution of higher education in the U.S. or elsewhere.
The 2023 CAORC-INYA Fellows will have until September 30, 2024, to complete their field work in a Third Country (outside of the U.S. and Myanmar).
This program is funded by CAORC through a grant from the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. State Department.
Information about the fellowship competition
- Research must contribute to studies on Myanmar in any aspect of its wide linguistic, cultural, religious, and ethnic diversity and to a better understanding of the country’s past or present political and socio-economic situation. Any field of research will be considered, including the arts, humanities, social sciences, economics, political sciences, law, environment studies, and public health;
- Field research in a Third Country must be for a minimum of two months and a maximum of four months;
- Joint research projects are not eligible for this competition. Only individual research projects will be considered;
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens. U.S. permanent residents are not eligible for this competition;
- Students enrolled at Minority Serving Institutions are especially encouraged to apply.
The application to be completed in the CAORC SM Application Portal https://orcfellowships.smapply.org requires the following items:
- Information about the Applicant: first name, last name, mailing address, email address, phone number, citizenship, major field of study, department, institutional affiliation, dates (if any) of previous research in Myanmar, length of award requested, tentative dates of project;
- A Curriculum Vitae;
- Description of the proposed study with the following sections:
- Project title
- Project abstract (max. 100 words)
- Approach and research methodology (max. 500 words)
- Significance of the project (max. 500 words)
- Work done to date (max. 300 words)
- Work to be accomplished during the fellowship period (max. 500 words)
- Budget narrative describing how the award will be expended
- Name of the Third Country where research on Myanmar will be conducted
- List of places that will be visited in Third Country
- Project Bibliography;
- One Reference Letter.
- Award from $3,200 to $4,400 for a maximum of 4 months;
- A transportation stipend of up to $1,600 for the round trip airfare from the U.S. to Third Country and in-country travel expenses;
Terms and Conditions
- Fellows must submit a one-page Final Report to the Inya Institute within a month completing their fellowship.
- During the tenure of their fellowship, fellows must present their research project through a virtual presentation and write a piece of writing which will be published in the institute’s quarterly newsletter.
- Fellows are responsible for obtaining the appropriate research permission and visas.
- Air Travel from the U.S. must meet the conditions of the Fly America Act.
Deadline, Selection, and Notification
Applications must be sent by April 3, 2023 (11:59 PM EDT).
Fellowships will be awarded by a Selection Committee composed of academics with long-standing experience and recognized expertise on Myanmar. Applicants will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Merits of the proposal, its significance, relevance, and potential contribution to research on Myanmar studies;
- Applicant qualifications;
- Feasibility of the research design;
- Feasibility in terms of resources and amount of time allocated to the project.
Awards will be announced by April 30, 2023.
For questions, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org